The Committee to Elect Nikki Lucas campaign launched a new video ad, Change and Solutions, focusing on change in the 42nd Council District, which covers East New York, Brownsville, Canarsie and East Flatbush. (see the video below)
The ad highlights Nikki Lucas’s 21st Century Rescue Plan for East Brooklyn, and her priority policies:
- Real Police Reform
- True Affordable Housing
- Creation of a Public Safety Commission
- The development of a State of the Art Performing Arts and Business Technology Center
- Tax breaks for homeowners
- Stopping NYCHA from being handed over to private developers
The ad points out that after 20 years of the same leadership, the district is still the highest in homelessness, the highest in gun violence and among the highest in unemployment. In the ad Lucas says that the community is tired of fighting from behind.
The Lucas campaign, which has a robust digital operation, plans to promote the long-form commercial on social media and they are running a 30 second version of the commercial on News 12 for the final weeks of the campaign.
Lucas is running against Charles Barron, who held the City Council seat for three terms, from 2001-2013, when he was he was term limited out. Barron went on to become the NY State Assemblyman in East New York, a seat which he currently holds. Barron’s wife, Inez Barron, took over the City Council seat in 2013 when Charles was term limited out. Inez Barron is now term limited out. Mrs. Barron held the NY State Assembly seat prior to taking over the City Council seat, so the couple switched political seats in 2013 and they are attempting to do it again. The City Council seat in East New York has been held by a member of the Barron family for the past 20 years and the Assembly seat has been held by the husband and wife duo for the past 12 years. The Barrons also hold the Male and Female District Leader seats in East New York. Some residents think this type of family controlled politics has been shortchanging East New York for many years from the resources that are needed in the community.
Early Voting for the Democratic Primary starts Saturday June 12, 2021 and ends Sunday June 20, 2021. Election Day is Tuesday June 22, 2021.
- Nikki Lucas Blasts Charles Barron For Calling “Our Sister” Tish James Out Of Her Name In A Time When James Is Fighting The Powerful NRA To Get Guns Off Our Streets
- NYPD Officers Fired After 3 Civilian Complaints In Policy Plan Proposed By City Council Candidate Nikki Lucas
- Power To The People? How Charles And Inez Barron’s Seat Switching Is A Dangerous Game That’s Hurting East New York
Leave a Reply