The Cooling Assistance benefit helps eligible households buy and install an air conditioner or fan up to a cost of $800.
- The deadline to submit applications is August 30, 2020.
- Air conditioners are provided on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible applicants.
- Applicants are only eligible for a Cooling Assistance benefit once every five years.
- If eligible, a household can get only one air conditioner or one fan, and the cost can’t go above $800 including installation fees.
You may be eligible for a Cooling Assistance benefit if:
- You have a medical condition that gets worse with heat, which you can verify with a letter from a medical professional
- You and the people you live with are US citizens or have satisfactory immigration status
- You don’t have a working air conditioner that is newer than five years
- You do not live in subsidized housing, such as NYCHA and Section 8, where heating costs are included in the rent bill
- You meet one of the following income requirements:
- You receive SNAP benefits, Temporary Assistance, or Code A Supplemental Security Income.
- Your family is at or under the income following guidelines.
|Family Size||Income in a year||Income in a month||Income in a week|
|For each additional person, add:||$6,636||$553||$128|
Click here to find out what you need, and for the link to the application
More ways to get help with this program
Visit the website
Visit the NYS OTDA for more information on the Cooling Assistance benefit.
Ask for help with the Cooling Assistance benefit.
Call the HEAP Conference Line at 212-331-3126 if you have questions about Cooling benefit or need help from an operator.